The view from Beaumont House – April 2007
Following our launch in October, 2006, the last few months have seen us hosting guests from a wide variety of locations – including Greece, Austria, Switzerland, UK, Germany, America and Thailand!
We have been featured in a number of local publications (Dekat magazine, the Décor feature in January’s Home Magazine, Elle March Hot 40 List), in a January issue of First magazine (UK) and the March issue of Attitude (UK). We were also featured on SABC 3’s Top Billing programme in November.
We were invited to participate in the Portfolio Premiere Collection entitled Country Places, City and Safari Collection. This is the de facto benchmark of the finest South Africa has to offer – and the publication is celebrating its 25th anniversary during 2007 (www.portfoliocollection.com).
Finally, you’ll be pleased to know that work has started on demolishing the old Green Point stadium here in Cape Town to make way for the new 68,000 seater stadium which will be used to host several of the games, as well as one of the 2010 World Cup semi finals. Please book early!
What’s been happening?
Some events that have happened in Cape Town recently:
- February 11th SA v Pakistan ODI at Newlands (5 minutes from BH)
- February 22-25 Cape Town Pride festival
- February 23-25 Design Indaba
- March 6-24 Cape Town Festival 2007
- March 7 Sir Cliff Richard in Concert at Kirstenbosch (5 minutes from BH)
- March 11 Cape Argus Pick ‘n Pay cycle tour – the world’s largest timed cycle race
- March 30 Cape Town International jazz festival
- April 7 Old Mutual Two Oceans marathon
What’s coming up?
Upcoming events in Cape Town over the next few months include:
- April 26-29 Decorex Cape 2007 (where Beaumont House has been selected as a Decorex Designer hotel – see www.decorexdesignerhotels.co.za)
- May 8-11 15th Cape Times V&A Waterfront Wine Festival
- May 24-27 Cape Town Gourmet Festival
- June 9 Springboks vs. Samoa at Newlands
- June 16 Springboks vs. Australia at Newlands
- July 15 Franshhoek Bastille Festival
Jottings from the guest book
- “A true 5 star experience. It felt like home from home – but my home isn’t this nice. Thank you so much – this will be one of my favourite holiday memories” UK magazine editor
- “Thank you so much Gill and Peter. It was hospitality just like you get in Greece! High quality”. Greek family
- “Truly outstanding in every way. What a fantastic Christmas that we will always remember. I am grossly envious of all future guests” Family from Norfolk, England
- “We loved it, will be sorry to leave and hope we get a chance to come back – completely excellent and completely memorable” Couple from London
- “Peter and Gill – thank you so much for a lovely stay. I loved my time at Beaumont House and am already looking forward to my next visit” Guest from New York
From May to September, why not take advantage of our special low season rates and experience Cape Town’s secret season away from the crowds.
These generously low rates represent a saving of over 30% on our normal rates – and are subject to a further 10% discount for stays of five nights or more.
A tall story ...?
As Peter too quickly approaches his 60th birthday (hard to believe, we know!) age can sometimes be an advantage, as this story illustrates…
A young man who was also an avid golfer found himself with a few hours to spare one afternoon. He figured if he hurried and played very fast, he could get in nine holes before he had to head home. Just as he was about to tee off an old gentleman shuffled onto the tee and asked if he could accompany the young man as he was golfing alone. Not being able to say no, he allowed the old gent to join him.
To his surprise the old man played fairly quickly. He didn't hit the ball far, but plodded along consistently and didn't waste much time. Finally, they reached the 9th fairway and the young man found himself with a tough shot. There was a large pine tree right in front of his ball - and directly between his ball and the green.
After several minutes of debating how to hit the shot the old man finally said, "You know, when I was your age, I'd hit the ball right over that tree."
With that challenge placed before him, the youngster swung hard, hit the ball up, right smack into the top of the tree trunk and it thudded back on the ground not a foot from where it originally lay.
The old man offered one more comment, "Of course, when I was your age that pine tree was only three feet tall."
As there are 13 golf courses within 30 minutes drive of Beaumont House, and more beyond, we suggest you come and play some of them soon, before the trees grow too tall!
The best of times to you.
Peter and Gill
View archived newsletters:
Please enter your email address below to be placed
on the newsletter mailing list.